Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Have you written... Denver, 1999

“Little by little, the earth clears,Little by little, I can breathe again…”
Robert Plant, “Little by Little.”

“Have you written anything about me yet?” No, but I will. Believe me, I will. The time is not right just yet, but I have written of you before, many times. Do you not know who I am? Hopefully, soon, you will remember…

Our friendship grows again, old friend. The empathy, the unspoken knowing…is returning, as it was before. Trust. I told you today that, while I have a great deal of friends who consider me close to them, I have only a few to which I would consider the same. Of which you have always been.

Our lives, they have been so different, our origins so far from the other. The paths we took to meet up under such unlikely circumstances! Me, bouncing from point to point troubled because of the void, you, more static in location, hurtling ever faster within yourself. The events of the past all led us here, to our friendship, and hopefully the pain of past mistakes melts away with the ever-growing strength of our camaraderie.

I told you the day we first met was the day I was to quit at our respective place of work. You were just starting, and I had had enough. Walking through the door, ready to give the night’s notice, I saw you there. And I knew to stay. Something in your eyes told me this was not the time to leave. I’m so glad I listened.

That’s the God’s honest truth, _____. And I know you know that. Because you were looking into my eyes when I told you about it later.

No comments: