Friday, April 25, 2008

For my Mother and Father

I tried to tell you…

“We’ve got stars directing our fate,and we’re praying it’s not too late,cause we know we’re falling from grace,Millennium…” -Robbie Williams, “Millennium.”

1. 1999 - the last year…the last peaceful year…

Watch as we slide, all of us, the implications as shock wavesOverlapping, resounding throughout our world. The polar opposites, their voices are rising, all over the world.Oblivion becomes louder, closes in…intensifies.

Do you feel it? You will. I wish I couldn’t, my father.The coming changes are of no surprise.Knowing of these changes sometimes causes my tension.

How could I tell you of my un-articulated gift when I didn’t know(didn't realize) myself?

I am amazed by the strength of my perception and empathy, their scope, the clarity, its effect. Thank you my mother, for these gifts. It just hurts sometimes, that’s all. Sometimes, being able to see better than the others, means seeing more of just how miserable our lives can or will be.

2. The woman in Burger King, her pushcart right beside her, who chewed her food thoroughly, with her baby doll make up and powder blue eyes and fraying dress, whose manners and chewing and dignity of expression still could not hide the almost unbearable sadness just behind her eyes, dad, at her age, in her 70’s… Her despair was overwhelming. I could not stay.

Me with my stupid, petty problems, I don’t have a car; I don’t have this or that, blah, blah, blah…I am young and smart and have good health, with strong legs and friends all over who love me, and I have absolutely no problems in comparison.

And it’s important to me to remember her eyes, that look, and to keep it close to my heart. I must never forget. I’m so very, very thankful for the life and remaining time I have. I must remember others are not so fortunate.

Thank you, Mom and Dad. I love you very much.

No comments: