Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Face Of Alzheimer's/A Month In The Life..

Alzheimer's is one hell of a disease.  It can manifest in many forms, but the end result is always tragic.  My father is in the later stages of Alzheimer's, and along with the destruction of his cognitive abilities, the disease is physically transforming/destroying him.  As this is just the beginning of my effort to chronicle his struggle, I will let these pictures tell a small portion of his story.  There is more, of course, but for those with no frame of reference, this is a good place to begin..
February 8
February 9\
February 10
February 11

February 12
February 13
February 14
February 15
February 16
February 18
February 19
February 20
February 21
February 22
February 23
February 24
February 25
February 26
February 27
February 28
February 29
March 1 (He meant to stick his tongue out..)
March 2
March 3(There's his tongue again..)
 March 4
March 5
March 6

March 7
March 8

Alzheimer's:  The gift that keeps on taking.  I'm thankful for the days he can still smile.  There is more forthcoming.  And yeah, I'm retaining all rights to these pictures, so no re-posting on sites like Facebook, please..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I get Alzheimers, I do not want anyone posting pictures of me through this disease. If a person gives permission and requests that this be documented of their own life (such as Farrah Fawcett did with her cancer) then I can see the benefit of educating others. However, it seems to me disrespectful to do this IF your father did not ask that this be documented for all to see. I know that my mother would have cringed if she thought I were doing this, even with good intentions. I would not betray her right to maintain dignity.

Lance said...

My father was a teacher. This is the last thing he can teach anyone. I have his permission, and he knows what I'm doing. And these pictures and this experience will be used to show others what to expect.