Monday, October 20, 2008

His very presence/When it began.

March through May, 1994/Key West

He could be so concerned
And
caring
And
thoughtful
And sweet.

He would visit me at work,
At the studio or at the bar,
Bearing food,
Or a note,
Allowing me to take a much needed break,
In the care of someone so handsome and so
Attentive.
My feelings for him deepened.

When we went to lunch,
we almost always ate at the Compass Rose.
Great comfort food, outdoor dining, and lots of cats.
___ always had great stories.
His timing, his humor, his perspective…
An endless stream of entertainment and affection.
All the while, my devotion to him continued to grow.

___ had seen and done much in his life, and
had met with more than his fair share of adversity,
yet,
when he slept, his countenance reflected
an innocence undamaged by past events.
I loved to watch him sleep.

_____would take a Troll doll or a plastic Chicken McNugget and hide it around the apartment, sometimes in a glass of water in the freezer, in the bathroom, underneath the sheets, always in an unexpected place.
He made crank calls.
He would meow-talk.
I appreciated the laughter he gave me.
He was compassionate and rational and had the most beautiful blue eyes. Direct, unwavering, full of warmth.

He made me feel like everything would indeed be all right.

That spring, in Key West, Florida, I began to fall in love with ______.

No comments: