Saturday, May 31, 2008

November 1995, Oak Hill neighborhood, St. Louis

After finally getting a job, my day started to assume new routines..

Provided I didn’t walk (no time/inclination that day), I would be gone by 8:40.

*Walk to Arsenal.
*Get on the Grand Boulevard bus by 9:00.
*Get out at the Grand Bridge.
*Descend the steps to the Grand Metrolink stop.
*Get on the train.
*Get off at the Central West End station.
*Walk to work.
*Wait tables.



By 3:30, I was done with work. And the reverse path led me back home again.



I have few friends here, and almost no money. I stay in more than ever before. I write more. I treat myself to a six dollar haircut every two weeks (with a two dollar tip), groceries at Aldi twice a week, and a trip to White Castle once or twice a week. I am close to financial oblivion. But I am taking care of myself.

I have no other choice.

No comments: