Saturday, June 30, 2012

A Side Note About This Heat..

It's a curiousity.  Every heatwave I can ever remember was always accompanied by news of heat-related deaths.  Even if only a few people died, it was deemed newsworthy.  News reports always included B-roll of elderly people in front of box fans, refrigerator trucks, and a interviews conveying a general sense of alarm from the community. 

With this rather young, but intense heatwave dominating a huge part of the United States, 100 plus temperatures over wide portions of the country, I find it odd that I haven't heard of any heat related deaths attributed to this event.  Not that there haven't been any deaths, but if there has been any, it is not being mentioned (or highlighted) in the media.  And it's a little amazing there haven't been any major power outages of note, either.  Don't get me wrong:  I'm glad there has been neither event, I'm just a little surprised they haven't, as they usually seem to be a side effect from the prolonged heat.

Are we getting more heat-tolerant?  Has our national power grid gotten that much stronger?  Did the media determine heat deaths not newsworthy?  Maybe the focus is soley on Colorado.  This is probably nothing, but I'll let this post stand. 

And yes, I do feel a little better for typing it out, thank you..

No comments: