Friday, May 18, 2012

EXCLUSIVE: Donna Summer Denied Making Antigay Remarks That Hurt Her Career

Me?  Yes, I remember the furor over her remarks, the mainstream media coverage, and the career backlash.  Yes, I do think she said what was attributed to her (In the Advocate interview at the link, she flatly denies that charge).  It really bothered me then(And still bothers some people today-check out the comments), but I'm sure her opinions did evolve when she realized AIDS was indeed killing many people she truly loved.  Getting quoted saying something stupid or regrettable or wrong or often repeated doesn't make one a monster.  Lashing out (Harshly)at your hardcore fanbase once doesn't make you Bad.  But it doesn't make you particularly bright, either..

I can imagine her remarks were tempered with the judgement and enthusiasm of someone raised in the church, who fell so far away into both gay and celebrity cultures, then was newly Born Again.  Maybe she felt like she needed to prove her sincerity.  When the moaning, simulated orgasm of 1975's "Love To Love You, Baby" came out, I heard "She's goin' tuh hell" many times..  (I never heard that song on the radio at anytime during its chart time except on American Top 40.  It got to Number 2 on the Hot 100, by the way..)  When that song came on the jukebox, everyone stopped, listened, then formed radically different opinons about what they just heard.  This was 1975/76, people:  This song was a sexual nuclear bomb.  Not everybody liked it, some people HATED it, but if you loved it, you LOVED it. 

Even at my young age, I loved it.  Conservative Christians, as a matter of course, did not love this song.  So, when Born Again, maybe she immediately swung just a little further right on her personal pendulum than where she ended up landing, and during that time, she said some things aloud she shouldn't have..  Shit like that does happen, right?

And maybe, as she continued to grow spiritually, she rethought.  At least that's how I hope it went down.  Or, maybe she buried that episode so deep, to her, it didn't happen.  Capricorns are very capable of just such denial. Whatever her motivations were at that time ceased when she changed.  As much bullshit as I've said(On a fairly regular basis), I really can't hold two or three sentences said during a 30 year old performance against her, especially considering the fact she never repeated this type of outburst.  I'm willing to give Donna Summer the benefit of growing way past those words. 

Sleep peacefully, Donna.  I'll be playing my favorites of yours; for you.  Thanks for the grooves, lady..

"I Feel Love" may be the best Disco song of all time.

No comments: